Tuesday, January 10, 2012

word of the day : duplicity

I looked this word up today, and I thought I knew what it meant.  Wrong.  The dictionary defines this word as:  hypocritical cunning or deception; double-dealing.  Who knew?

I thought duplicity would mean that something could have two meanings or purposes or versions - as in the word duplicate.

OK.  I have known people who are cunning and deceptive.  They make me nervous.  Their words and their actions make me feel like they are smarter or sharper than I am.  Like I am a step or two behind, and probably won't really catch up.  The trouble with people who are cunning, is that they are often looking for the angles, or the advantages.  And they strategize, plot and plan.  Not necessarily for evil purposes, but they definitely have their wheels turning faster than mine will ever go. 

1 comment:

  1. A good idea to stay away from cunning and evil people!! Good people will only make you feel better about yourself :)

    ReplyDelete