Tuesday, September 11, 2012

such a little thing

A teen I know had a birthday on Sunday.  I gave her a "serious" card and a little gift.  Then I dropped a "funny" card into the mail.  She sent a short test to say thank you, but later sent another text, saying that it was the most she had received on her 18th birthday.  My humble little gift was of little monetary value.  But I remembered her, and took notice of her special day.

This teen is like so many others who are short of cash and life skills and are lacking the family and community supports which will help them as they stumble around life as an adult.

A small gesture, even a silly birthday card, can make a big impact on older teens who are struggling with the many challenges facing them.  I encourage anyone reading this to look for an opportunity to take notice of a kid who needs a boost, a smile, a dollar, a ride, a meal, a pat on the back or a crumb of positive attention.  We all gain when our young people do well.   

I hope that  

No comments:

Post a Comment