Friday, September 14, 2012

savages

It scares me that the collective "we" are acting more like savages than rational humans.  Rudeness abounds everywhere, from road rage, to politicians who lie about almost everything, to reality shows that reward cheating and scheming.  People are carrying hand guns everywhere claiming their need to defend themselves.  Murder and sexual crimes are glorified in multitudes of TV shows.  Bullying and fighting are pervasive.  And on and on and on.

Where are we headed?  What does all this look like to our nation's children?  I am alarmed and saddened that our world is becoming more unsafe every day.

As I read my words, I sound like an alarmist, and a pessimist.  But am I?  My 9 year old granddaughter stayed with me a few nights, and she came out of her room crying, worried about someone coming in the window to hurt her.  She has experienced nothing in her life to cause her to be afraid of such a thing.  It seems that all of us are becoming more afraid, perhaps of some unknown, unnamed boogie man. 

Where are we headed?  And how can we stop the fallout of living in such an unsettled world?   

1 comment:

  1. Well, I do think that things are getting bad. That some people have no morals or conscience and care only about themselves. Things are getting worse. However, I see all around me people who are kind and caring and compassionate and who help other people. Those are the people you should point out to your granddaughter! There are tons all around!!!

    ReplyDelete